Is the text reactions (also known as message reactions) not working on your Samsung Galaxy S22? This new feature doesn’t work with the default Samsung messaging app, and that is probably why you cannot use them (there are other reasons too).
But there is nothing to worry about because in this guide we will explain to you how to configure the text reactions to work on your Galaxy S22 along with some troubleshooting methods in case it won’t work. Let’s dive right in!
Note: This guide also applies to Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus, S22 Fe, and S22 Ultra devices.
Table of Contents
Possible causes why text reactions may not work on your Samsung Galaxy S22
Before getting to the steps you need to take, let’s see what could possibly cause the text reactions not to work. As we said earlier, the main reason is the default Samsung messaging app that doesn’t support text reactions.
Read Also: Samsung Galaxy S22 Cannot Make Calls (How to Fix)
Apart from that, there are other possible reasons behind this issue, These are:
- You have not properly configured Google messaging app to receive/send text reactions
- You are not connected to the internet/WiFi or there are connection issues in your area
- Temporary glitches or bugs in the Google messaging app
- Outdated Google messaging app
- Outdated system software.
If one or a few issues are present on your Galaxy S22, you need to fix them immediately to resolve the text reactions. In the next sections, we will show you how you can do that easily and quickly.
How to fix Samsung Galaxy S22 text reactions not working
First, we will start by making Google Messages the default messaging app. So if you were using the Samsung keyboard as the default for your Samsung S22, you have to say goodbye to it as there is no way currently to set up text reactions.
Let’s get started.
Step 01: Set Google Messages as the default messaging app
To set Google message as the default on your Galaxy S22, first, you have to make sure you have downloaded it on your device. If you still haven’t downloaded the app, follow the first step below to download it and make it the default:
- Download Messages by Google from Google Play Store
- Open it
- Then, tap on “Set default SMS app.”
Once you have made the Google messages the default, move into the next step to configure it for chatting before enabling the reactions.
Step 02: Configure Google Messages for chatting
Here you need to register your number for chatting on your Samsung Galaxy S22. Once you have done that, then you can enable text reactions and connect your device to a WiFi router to enjoy the text reactions.
To configure Google Messages and enable the chatting feature, you can follow these steps:
- Open Google Messages.
- Tap on the profile icon which is on the top right side next to the search bar.
- Tap on Messages settings.
- Tap on Chat features.
- Then, toggle on “Enable chat features.”
- Once you have toggled it on, you will see a button “Verify your number.” Tap on it and enter your number. Then follow the on-screen instructions to set it up.
Step 03: Enable showing iPhone reactions as emoji
To receive and send text reactions, you need to enable the “Show iPhone reactions as emoji” feature. This way, you will be able to chat with iPhone users while using text reactions without running into issues.
To enable this feature, follow the steps below:
- Open Google Messages and go to Messages settings as you did in the previous step.
- Scroll down, and select Advanced.
- Now, toggle on the “Show iPhone reactions as emoji.”
- Then restart your Galaxy S22.
Step 04: Connect your device to WiFi
Now all have set up. All you have to do is connect your Galaxy S22 to a WiFi router and see if the text reactions work.
Before connecting your Galaxy S22 to a WiFi network, make sure the network is working correctly and have no connection issues. Also, verify that it is connected to the internet.
Once you have made everything clear, go ahead and start using text reactions!
We hope you have successfully made it! But if you still cannot use text reactions, you have to troubleshoot the messaging app and the device. Let’s see how you can do that.
Fix 01: Clear the cache of Google Messages
As we said earlier if there is a bug or a glitch in Google messages, some functions like the text reactions may not work. In this case, you have to clear the cache of Google messages to see if it works.
To clear the app cache of Google Messages, follow the steps below:
- Open Settings.
- Tap on Apps.
- Scroll down and select Google Messages.
- Tap on Storage.
- Then, tap on Clear cache.
Fix 02: Update the device software
The next thing you can do to troubleshoot is update your Galaxy S22’s software. If the software on your device is outdated or the current system has an ongoing issue, the only solution you need is to update it.
To update your Galaxy S22, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings and Tap on Software Update.
- Select Download and Install.
Now your device will search for a new update and if there is one, it will download the update and notify you to install it.
We hope this guide has helped you to configure and troubleshoot text reactions on your Samsung Galaxy S22. If you still have questions or need help, just leave a comment below and we will be there to help.
Have a nice day!
More Guides For Your Samsung Galaxy S22
- Samsung Galaxy S22/S23 Screen Won’t Turn On? Let’s Fix It Now!
- Samsung Galaxy S22/S23 – Auto Rotate is Not Working – How to Fix
- Samsung S22/S23 Super Fast Charging Not Working (Solutions)