If your Samsung Galaxy S20 is having a screen flickering issue, don’t worry! The screen flickering is not a symptom of a hardware issue. This means the root cause is not with your device’s hardware, but rather with the software.
In this guide, we have included 04 fixes to resolve this issue. All you have to do is apply them one by one until you get your Galaxy S20 fixed.
Note: Solutions in this guide will work on any Samsung Galaxy S20 model (S20, S20 Plus, S20 Fe, and S20 Ultra models.)
Editor’s note: We created these instructions using a Samsung Galaxy S20 running Android 12. Depending on your device’s software version, some steps and menu positions may look slightly different.
Table of Contents
Fix 01: Force Restart Your S20
Screen flickering on your Galaxy S20 issue can be easily fixed by a simple device restart. When a software update is installed, your device restarts automatically. However, if you haven’t manually restarted your device after the update, it’s a good idea to do so.
Here’s how you can do this:
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button simultaneously for about 10-15 seconds.
- Continue to hold both buttons until the device vibrates and the Samsung logo appears on the screen.
- Release both buttons and wait for your device to complete the restart.
Fix 02: Turn Off Adaptive Brightness
The Adaptive Brightness feature on your Galaxy S20 automatically adjusts the screen brightness based on the light conditions around you. By turning off Adaptive Brightness, you’re setting your screen brightness to a fixed level.
This can potentially stop the screen flickering issue, as the screen doesn’t randomly change its brightness.
Here’s how you can turn off the Adaptive Brightness on your Galaxy S20:
- Open Settings on your Galaxy S20.
- Scroll down and tap on Display.
- Look for the Adaptive Brightness option.
- If it’s turned on, tap the toggle switch to turn it off.
Fix 03: Reset All Settings
A software update can cause conflicts or glitches in your device settings. If so, resetting all settings on your Galaxy S20 will fix the screen flickering issue.
Follow these steps to reset all settings on your Samsung S20:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Scroll down and tap on General Management.
- Tap on Reset.
- Select Reset all settings.
- You will see a prompt asking you to confirm your action. Tap on Reset settings again.
Fix 04: Wait for Another Update
Tried all the other 03 fixes and still the screen flickering? Then it indicates a serious firmware issue that’s beyond your control.
In this case, the best thing you can do is to wait for Samsung to release another update that addresses this problem. Meanwhile, you can check for updates by following the steps below:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Battery and device care.
- Scroll down and tap on Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install.
Note: Even though the screen flickering started after the update, there’s a small chance that it has to be a hardware issue. Therefore, feel free to get to Samsung’s customer support or take your device to a service centre so you can get your S20 checked by professionals.
We hope that these 04 Fixes have been helpful in resolving your screen flickering issue. If you have any questions or need further clarifications just leave a comment below and we will be there for your assistance.